Thursday, December 9, 2010

Bad Gift Idea #2: Clothing

"Aw, you shouldn't have."



No really. You shouldn't have.

(*this hoodie is a representation of bad clothing I've received - not an actual item I've received.)

Clothing is a matter of personal expression. For better or worse. It should not be chosen, at random, by people who do not know the recipient's tastes - let alone the fact that fit and sizing are problems on their own. And even if you know the recipient's sizes, fits, color palette, etc. - these things can change over time.

Furthermore, socks and underwear are incredibly horrible gifts for children, as are sweaters, and dress clothes. There are reasons your younger relatives may drift away from you over time -- including giving gifts such as these.

The odds of you getting me something that I'll wear with any sort of frequency (if I keep it at all) are very, very poor. The odds of any person knowing what a member of a significantly different age group wants at all are very, very poor.

And clothing bought by relatives who live out of state - this is just unforgivable. There is no way humanly possible that they can get this right.

While many will naysay giftcards, I am not one of them. A giftcard will allow me to purchase something I actually like, though it does limit me to a specific store (which I may or may not like). This is why cash is a better option than a giftcard.

Cash. What your giftee can really use. Remember that - and pray that it keeps you from electing to buy someone clothing - which is most often, an innately BAD GIFT IDEA.

No comments:

Post a Comment